A group exhibition exploring the sensory experience of sleep, dream narratives and internal visual landscapes; the process of awakening; and the sleeping subject. This is a collaborative project involving sixteen contemporary visual artists and wider discussion group of writers and scientists.
The exhibition focus:
1. The sensory experience of sleep;
2. Dream narratives and internal visual landscapes;
3. The process of awakening; and
4. The sleeping subject.
Sleep and dreams have always been a source of inspiration to artists. Most notably to the Surrealists – who focused on expressing the subconscious as directly as possible, rejecting a rational view of the world.
26 - 30 September 2017
(daily 11.00 am – 6.00 pm)
Menier Gallery, 51 Southwark Street, London SE1 1RU
Curator: Clare Dudeney - www.claredudeney.com/in-dreams
Private View: Tuesday 26 September (6.00 – 9.00 pm)
Night of talks: Thursday 28 September (6.00 – 9.00 pm)
To RSVP please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred night
Esra is inspired by Islamic patterns and designs. By studying and practicing traditional methods used in Iran and Turkey, she has found her own unique voice and is exploring a range of applications to bridge the gap between traditional and contemporary arts. Islamic illuminations are constructed with geometric grids, biomorphic and floral shapes, representational of the vegetation in the area the painting originated. For this exhibition Esra will be considering Islamic traditions of dream interpretation and symbolism. Esra is a Saudi artist living in London and working on her PhD in interior architecture, in the University of East London.
The other artists Information:
- Esra Alhamal – www.islamicillumination.com
- Becky Brewis – www.beckybrewis.com
- Regina de Barros – Carvalho (“Go”) http://gofoundation.co
- Sophie Charalambous – www.sophiecharalambous.co.uk
- Clare Dudeney – www.claredudeney.com
- Abigail Edgar – www.abigailedgar.co.uk
- Aisha Farr – www.aishafarr.com
- Bobbye Fermie – www.bobbyefermie.com
- Christabel Forbes – www.christabelforbes.co.uk
- Dasha Klyachko
- Emily Morey – www.emilymorey.com
- Oliver Mulvihill – www.olivermulvihill.co.uk
- Veronika Peat – www.in-stasis.org.uk
- Amelia de Rougemont – www.ameliaroberts.co.uk
- Lottie Stoddart – www.lottiestoddart.com
- Anthony Waters – www.anthonywaters.co.uk