Manifesting the Unseen seeks to remove barriers and reveal hidden truths through creating a discursive space to subvert the ‘Orientalist gaze’ and experience the unique artistic language of Islamic art and its modern cultural expression. Bringing together an international group of emerging Muslim women artists the exhibition invites the viewer to see the unseen, challenging their perceptions of Islam and Muslim women.
The visual artists in Manifesting the Unseen share an interest in the unifying principles of Islamic art, its origins within the inner realities of divine revelation and its perfect balance of science, art and spirituality. Their work focuses on the essence of things, seeking not to replicate nature but to convey what it represents; revealing what is unseen until nothing remains hidden. The works in Manifesting the Unseen aspire to reflect the infinite nature of Allah; the creation of the pieces becomes an act of devotion for some, and a reflection of faith for others. Through engaging with these themes, viewers are invited to contemplate the idea of oneness and how from unity all diversity emerges.
More information: http://www.guestprojects.com/upcoming/2018/11/20/manifesting-the-unseen
Curated by: Nazia Mirza
Featured visual artists include:
- Esra Alhamal - www.islamicillumination.com
- Samira Mian - www.samiramian.uk
- Jeea Mirza - www.jeeamirza.com
- Nazira Bibi - www.instagram.com/pomegranates
- Aziza Iqbal - www.azizaiqbal.com
- Maaida Noor - www.maaidanoor.com
- Sarah Choudhrey - www.sarachoudhrey.com
- Wasi Daniju - www.WasiDaniju.com
- Mobeen Akhtar - www.instagram.com/_mobeenakhtar_
- Shaheen Kasmani - www.shaheenkasmani.com
GUEST PROJECTS, SUNBURY HOUSE, 1 ANDREWS ROAD, LONDON E8 4QL, UK